Aromatherapy & Weight Control
Using Essential Oils to Control Weight
The use of essential oils in aromatherapy can be effective in supporting the weight loss process.
Every diet and weight loss book, website and guru tries to offer something new to the debate about how to lose weight. The weight-loss industry is fast-growing, multi-billion dollar industry and shows no sign of slowing down. For decades there has been an assortment of outlandish and unhealthy fad diets circulating – the Cabbage Soup Diet, the Grapefruit Diet, the Brussels Sprouts Diet, even the Tape Worm Diet – but the fact remains that the most sensible way to lose weight is to watch what you eat and get regular exercise.
Individuality and Weight Loss
Everybody is different and the amount of weight gained or lost will depend on such things as an individual’s metabolism rate, their genetics, their ability to exercise and their overall health.
Essential Oils and Weight Loss
Essential oils by themselves will not induce weight loss but they can help to support and be a comfort through a change to a healthy lifestyle. Essential oils, such as grapefruit essential oil, can be used as a diuretic and a digestive stimulant. Others, like lavender essential oil, are anti-inflammatory, which can help to reduce inflammation caused by exercise, and lemongrass essential oil, which can aid with circulation. It is commonly believed that both peppermint essential oil and pink grapefruit essential oil can help to reduce food cravings and suppress the appetite. Grapefruit is sometimes referred to as “the dieter’s friend.”
Essential Oils to Support Lifestyle Changes
Following are ten essential oils that are often used to support lifestyle changes such as increased exercise, reduced calorie intake and stress reduction. Each essential oil is chosen for its valuable properties:
- Basil essential oil is analgesic, anti-depressant and anti-inflammatory, helping to uplift the spirit and reduce inflammation.
- Fennel essential oil is a detoxifier, diuretic and stimulant.
- Grapefruit essential oil is a detoxifier, digestive stimulant, emotional stimulant, and diuretic.
- Juniper essential oil is a detoxifier, diuretic, and works well with cellulite.
- Lavender essential oil is an analgesic, anti-anxiety, anti-inflammatory, balancing and calming essential oil.
- Lemon essential oil is anti-bacterial and anti-depressant.
- Lemongrass essential oil is an antioxidant, digestive tonic and it is used to energize and stimulate the circulation.
- Orange essential oil is anti-depressant, lymph stimulating, tonic and uplifting. It is thought to eliminate toxins.
- Petitgrain essential oil is an antidepressant and a sedative. It is also known to help with insomnia and nervous exhaustion.
- Rosemary essential oil is an analgesic and diuretic.
Use the essential oils singly or blend together. Try them in a bath, an aromatherapy diffuser or add them to a carrier oil and use in a massage.
Holistic Health News, “Stop Your Sweet Cravings Fast with Pink Grapefruit Essential Oil”.
WellSphere, “Essential Tip of the Week- Curbing Cravings”. www.wellsphere.com
Worwood, Valerie Ann. 1990. “The Fragrant Pharmacy”
*This is educational information and any opinions expressed here-in do not replace professional medical advice. If you are ill, see a suitably qualified medical practitioner.*
All articles on this website are copyright Green Valley Aromatherapy Ltd. If you wish to reprint any article from Green Valley Aromatherapy’s website in your ezine, website, blog, forum, RSS feed or print publication, you must first agree to the conditions of our article reprint policy.